Applicable to Multiple Generations of Immigrants?

Started by Private on Monday, December 12, 2016
Problem with this page?

Participants:

• Private
    Geni member
  • Private User
    Geni member
  • Geni Pro
  • Geni member
  • Private User
    Geni member

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 1-30 of 43 posts

Let's say John Smith is a father from England, traveling with his son James to St. Mary City, MD in 1641. John was born in 1590 in Yorkshire and his son James in 1623. Neither born in the US. Both immigrated and died here. So are John and James both members of this project or merely John the father?

I assume the first ancestor to immigrate to the U.S.A would be the father rather than the son. It does seem somewhat problematic when they arrive together or the parent dies shortly after arriving for example with Thomas Rogers who arrived with his son Joseph on the Mayflower and who died that first winter but he did live long enough to sign the Mayflower Compact.

Am I authorized to add profiles to this project if they're not my ancestors, but merely immigrants? Does this project include even people who immigrated let's say in 2016? I imagine the earliest possible birthdate for an immigrant to the US (with continuous lineage & descendants) is 1530 or so.

I suppose as long as they are someone's ancestors, Jonathan, but immigration in 2016 would be cutting it pretty close and while the natives immigrated much earlier than 1530, there are no records.

The description of this project is minimal but I also assume it includes those who immigrated prior to the formation of the United States of America.

I created the project.
The purpose is to give you a list of your ancestors that were the first to immigrate to the country now known as United States using HistoryLinks. Many users mark their ancestors that were the first to emigrate with a profile picture. This project gives a more concrete way to get a listing of those people.
1) It is intended to mark the parents that brought their children to the colonies/United States.
2) There is no time designation so someone that immigrates in 2016 fits the purpose and will be a marker for future generations.
3) I have no objection to adding immigrants that are not your ancestors but they will not appear in your HistoryLink list. I recommend that you request the addition to the project to the manager of the profile (if you aren't one) as a courtesy.
4) If someone adds the children that accompany the parents, I will not delete them but first ask yourself if you want them listed as your first ancestor in U.S.
5) Technically if someone dies on the trip, they are not an immigrant. Personally, I have no problem with them being added.

Thank you for the clarification and the project, Jim. And I really like the graphic at HistoryLinks.

I get 1530 from the fact that Dutch seemed to arrive as early as the first decade of the 17th century and the oldest of that bunch was likely around 70 or 80. And the English first came is 1607 and I doubt anyone was older than 77 years old on the boats to Jamestown, VA. No Englishpeople are known to have survived 16th century colonies in North Carolina.

i believe I have a multiple amount of founding fathers, but the earliest date seems to be 1630 John Audley and Margaret (Spooner) and Edith Macomber (Locke) arrived 5/30/1630.

Elder William Brewster, "Mayflower" Passenger

Just found another ancestor who
Emigrated 1620, on the Mayflower

He is my 11th great grandfather.

Elder William Brewster, "Mayflower" Passenger

John Lovejoy, Sr
Here is another immigrant ancestor from 1630, an 8th GGR.

I am connected to Brewster also and Soule and a few others

I would think if both the parents and the children, minor and older ones arr. on the same ship and on the same day, would all be considered the immigrants
My Gilman line is like that and I have other lines also like that,

My earliest ancestors to come here (on my dad's side) were on the Mayflower.
However on my mothers side they came in the 1800's. Can I include this other branch of my family......or is it just the first period?

Mary Sanford Drexler, your mother has different ancestors than your dad so their entrance into U.S. is just as historic. The first immigrant ancestors on both sides should be included.

How does an ordinary current person, not a 'manager', get to see who is included in the First Ancestor listing? I'm asking because I have several Firsts, some on the Mayflower but on other voyages in the first half of the 1600s,and I'd like to know if they have been put on the list. Thanks for any help.

Every project has a “profiles” list to it - on the right side. There’s a link to “view all” - https://www.geni.com/projects/First-Ancestor-to-Immigrate-to-U-S-A/...

It defaults to “added to project” order, most recent first. The entire list can be exported as a CSV file.

Thanks, cousin Erica. Wow, I didn't realize there would be over 4,000 names in the list. Just what is a CSV file, and what does it produce?

Again, Erica, is there an easy way to navigate through the 222 pages of the list. Or is there a way to search for a specific name within the list? Thanks again.

I don’t think we can search within a project yet, it would be a nice enhancement; but I’m not entirely sure. Anyone else?

CSV files described here, an export can be imported into a program like Excel.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comma-separated_values

The easier way, though, is to look at your ancestral profile and see if it needs to be added to the project. For every Geni profile, open it up to profile view, and the projects it has been added to are listed on the right side. It it hasn’t been added you can request or add to the relevant project(s).

For example:

John Howland, "Mayflower" Passenger

Erica, I've been at it a while, and have found 83 direct ancestors who, per their Geni profile, are NOT in the First Ancestors project. What do I do with them??

Add the profiles to the project:

https://www.geni.com/projects/First-Ancestor-to-Immigrate-to-U-S-A/...

(From the project, upper right hand corner , options > add profile > (URL of profile))

Thanks, Erica, but (as a newbie) how do I find those URL? Do I open each profile and it automatically calls itself by its unique URL?
Also, I note several profiles say there are no projects but I can add them to one if I choose.

The URL is the browser address. You can also add profiles to project from the profile - might be easier for you that way.

Erica, I hate to sound so stupid, but I'm still confused and frustrated. First I went to the "First-Ancestor" site and could not find the "options" button anywhere.
Then I opened (separately) 2 of my ancestor's profiles, went to the "actions" button, found "invite to project", in the "Find a project" window I typed in "First-Ancestor-to-Immigrate-to-U-S-A" and clicked on "DONE". My screen returned to the profile site, but the "Related Projects" list remained unchanged.
These are the 2 profiles:
geni.com/people/Francis-Allen/60000000067888066691.
geni.com/people/William-Arnold/4603273010330055567.
Any further suggestions, or should we open a direct email conversation?

William ‘the settler’ Arnold (Needed the https:// to make it a live link in a geni discussion).

I’m in profile view, not tree view. Actions > project > (wait for project list to load)

Find a project window. Type first ancestor ... (wait for name to show)

Select it so it shows in the box.

Success is the message: added to project. (In green).

Press the DONE button.

To remove from project:

Actions > add to project (view projects), X next to the name of wrong project.

—-

Figured if it’s confusing for you, it’s confusing for others. But once you get the hang of it, very easy & fast. :)

Did you want to try with ?

I think you had missed the select project name so it showed in the little box (in black type) before hitting the DONE button.

Thanx, Erica. I'll get to it later today or on the weekend. I guess my major error was not waiting long enuf.

Showing 1-30 of 43 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion